Friday, July 19, 2013

!-Birth Story of Rylan Gene Cruz-!


Our first son was born on July 2nd, 2013 at 11:56PM. He was 8 pounds, 11oz and 19.4 inches long. We named him Rylan Gene Cruz. Here is his birth story:

I was 40 weeks on June 25th, 2013 and my doctor told me I was only 1cm and had not dropped. She told me at 41 weeks if our son had not arrived I would be induced.

On July 2nd 2013 I awoke depressed that I was still pregnant and waited to see if I would get a call from my doctor to see if I would be getting induced. Tony got up and got ready for work and left. He told me to give him a call if the Doctor said to come in. I got in the shower, dreading the drive to work and another day still pregnant. After I got out of the shower the doctor called and told me there was a room open for me and to come in to be induced. I felt excitement and terror all at the same time. Would I be able to go natural? Whats labor going to feel like? I called Tony and he headed back home to pick up me up.

I put all of out hospital bags together and grabbed some grapes before we headed to the hospital. Traffic was bad because of the morning rush. I remember thinking to myself, "good thing I am not in labor." We took the HOV lane but realized as we passed the hospital that there was no exit to the hospital. After our little detour we made it to the hospital parked and walked in. I was getting more and more nervous by the minute.

After getting to my room I changed and they hooked me up with the heart monitor and the IV. The nurse asked me a million questions and then the doctor came in.

The first drug they gave me..starts with a P. Not Pit (They gave me that later) I cant remember right now but the drug sometimes makes women go into labor but most of the time it just softens the cervix and helps with dilation. After I was given the drug I was told I couldn't use the bathroom for 30 min. Of course once I was told I couldn't use the bathroom I all of a sudden had to go really bad. I asked Tony every minute how much time had gone by. At exactly thirty minutes I rushed in the bathroom...

After an hour or so I became really uncomfortable and my lower back started hurting. I sat up in bed and that helped with my back pain. The nurse though told me I could not sit straight up because the heart rate monitors didn't read well when I was in that position so I had to lay back down.

A few hours later (I think three) the doc came in to check on me. The drug had helped me dilate from a 1 to 3 cm and she said she was going to break my water. After they broke my water she said they would start the pit. The pit would be increased every 20 min.

The breaking of my water was the start to the tears.... Who new it would hurt that bad? It felt like she was trying to reach my brains with the devise they use to break the water sac. It hurt incredibly bad. After she had broken my water, her reaction to my tears were that I must have really sensitive lady parts... Who doesn't have sensitive lady parts?...

I was not prepared for the labor pains that would follow. I thought I was strong but I was not prepared for what was ahead. I had Tony move by the bed so he could help me through the contractions. Once the pit was placed in the IV (around 1:00 PM) the contractions started right away. I knew when a contraction was coming because water from my water sac would trinkle out and then a contraction would start. I didn't like knowing when the contraction would begin because it would cause me to tense up. Through each contraction I would squeeze Tony's hand to help me get through.

Love Tony but he was not much help in helping me through each contraction. That 70's show was playing on tv and while I was in pain he would be laughing at the tv. Needless to say, that was not the support I was in need of at the time so I told the doc I needed a epidural.

When the anesthesiologist came in they had me sit up in bed and what felt like gallons of water rushed out of me.  As soon at the epidural was given I felt nothing and really liked not feeling anything.

As the hours went by I was progressing as I should and the baby's vitals were perfect. Every couple hours I would dilate a cm or two. From the speed I was dilating Tony and I predicted I would begin pushing around 12-1:00 AM.

Around 8:00 PM I was dilated to 7cm and they said everything looked great. They came back in at 10:00 PM and said I was at a 7 1/2-8cm. They were worried that I wasn't progressing like I should because I had only dilated 1/2 cm in two hours.  They then tested my contractions and the nurse said my contractions were not strong enough for me to dilate to ten so they would need to turn up the pit. Before turning up the pit she said should we need to contact my doc for approval.

When she came back in the room she told me that my doctor said because I was not progressing I would be having c-section. WHAT!?

I immediately starting crying and emotionally breaking down. Everything from there happened so fast. I felt like within seconds the room was filled with nurses/doctors and I was being prepped for surgery. I was balling my head off. My doctor and a few nurses stopped and tried to give me a pep talk but I didn't really listen to what they were saying. A C-Section is not what I wanted. They sent Tony away to get dressed for surgery and pumped me with drugs.

As they wheeled me down the hall I couldn't stop crying and I began shaking uncontrollably.  They gave Tony tissues to wipe the snot from my face but with the amount of crying that I was doing he couldn't keep up with the amount of snot coming.

During the entire surgery I could not stop shaking. They put warm blankets on me but that didn't seem to do anything. I felt a lot of pressure during surgery as they tried to pull Rylan out of me. Finally at 11:56PM our baby boy came into the world. I could here him crying and kept wondering what he looked like. Tony brought him to me after awhile and I fell in love. So blessed to have him in our lives.

Baby Cruz was later put in the NICU for respiratory and glucose issues. He was released from the Hospital on July 7th and is now home. My mother came for a week to help us out after he was released. I cried the day she left. Tony and I are trying to get use to be being parents and having no sleep.

Despite the no sleep we are very happy and feel very blessed to have Rylan in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment